AppPerfect Floating License Server Installation Guide
You will need administrator rights on Windows machines and root access on Linux machine to install AppPerfect
products. If you do not have these privileges, please contact your system administrator. Instructions given
below are Windows-specific; if you are using a non-Windows machine, please use equivalent commands / instructions.
Installation instructions for AppPerfect Floating License Server:
- UI-based Installation
- Console-based Installation
- First time Log in
- Log in to License Server
- Add a floating license key
- Configure AppPerfect product to use floating license
- Disconnect AppPerfect product (Release floating license)
AppPerfect License Server (UI-based Installation)
If you have downloaded zipped version of the installer (for e.g. AppPerfectLicenseServer1450_win.zip, AppPerfectLicenseServer1450_lnx.zip), extract the zip file to some temporary location. Launch AppPerfect installer by double-clicking on the downloaded executable file (e.g. AppPerfectLicenseServer1450_win.exe, AppPerfectLicenseServer1450_lnx.sh, etc). A wizard will show up and take you through the installation process. The various tabs are described below.
- Please go through the "Introduction" screen. This will brief you about the installation process and details about the AppPerfect License Server and its version that will be installed. Click on the "Next" button.
- License Agreement:
- Read the AppPerfect Software License Agreement (ASLA) carefully.
- If you do not agree, click on Cancel and do not proceed.
- If you agree to all terms of the ASLA, select "I accept the agreement" which will enable "Next" button. Click the "Next" button to proceed further.
- Select Destination Directory:
- Select a folder where you wish to install AppPerfect. We recommend using the default installation folder selected by AppPerfect.
- To specify your own location click on the button "Browse..." and select a location for installation. Click on the "Next" button to proceed further.
- If the directory already exists, it will prompt you "The directory already exists. Would you like to install to that directory anway?". If No, choose another location or select Yes.
- License Server settings:
- Specify the License Server port settings. The License server service requires two ports: one for startup and one for shutdown. We recommend using the default ports provided by AppPerfect.
- If the specified ports are blocked, installer will show an error message for the same. Please specify different port in such cases.
- Choose Shortcut Folder:
- There are a number of options available for creating application shortcuts. Select option where you want to create the application shortcuts. You can also choose if you want to create shortcuts for All Users or only for the logged in user.
- It is recommended that you use the default selection. Click on the "Next" button to proceed further.
- This tab displays progress of the installation.
- Note: Sometimes, user face internet connection problems while downloading installer, which results in incorrect downloading of the installer. This results in showing error during installation of the type "Unable to extract xxx file. Would you like to continue... installation". Even on selecting Retry button, it continues to flash same message. Please download the installer again, use a reliable download manager software which allows you to continue downloading a big file even when there is a connection break in between. For e.g. FlashGet, GetRight etc. You can also download using Firefox, Chrome browsers.
- Installation Complete:
- On successful installation a message of finished installing AppPerfect License Server on your computer is displayed. Click on the "Finish" button.
- A "Readme" file will be launched in a browser. Read me file provides the information on the version and build of the product installed on the machine.
- If shortcuts were installed, then the shortcut folder should be opened in a new Explorer (or equivalent).
NOTE (Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7): On windows operating system for Non-Admin
users AppPerfect product may not work correctly. This happens due to insufficient read/write permissions of install folder.
We recommend to set Everyone read/write permissions to install folder and its sub-folders/files so that all users can
use AppPerfect product. Please contact your system administrator for assistance.
We recommend that before installing product you create a install folder for AppPerfect say "C:\AppPerfect" and set Everyone read/write permissions to this folder. Now during installation select this folder as install folder for AppPerfect Products. Once read/write permissions are set for the folder then all files and sub-folders in this folder will automatically have proper permissions set.
Also take care to create workspaceílocation inside this install folder only otherwise AppPerfect product may not work correctly due to insufficent read/write permissions to workspace location and its sub-folders/files.
AppPerfect License Server (Console-based installation (for headless Unix boxes))
If you have downloaded zipped version of the installer (for e.g. AppPerfectLicenseServer1450_lnx.zip), extract the zip
file to some temporary location and provide execution rights to it. To launching AppPerfect installer in console mode. Open a Terminal window and navigate to the directory where the AppPerfect installer file (e.g. AppPerfectLicenseServer1450_lnx.sh etc.) is extracted/downloaded. For the purpose of this document, let us assume that you have logged in using username user. Please create AppPerfect folder in /home/user directory if it does not exist. Now create LicenseServer folder in /home/user/AppPerfect directory.
Open a terminal window and change the current directory to the location when you have extracted AppPerfect installer. Now type the command "./AppPerfectLicenseServer1450_lnx.sh -q -dir /home/user/AppPerfect/LicenseServer" and press the Enter key. By doing this we are instructing the installer to install the product in /home/user/AppPerfect/LicenseServer directory in console mode.
This will launch the AppPerfect installer in console mode. The installer consists of a series of steps as described below.
- License Agreement:
- Read the AppPerfect Software License Agreement (ASLA) carefully. Press Enter for next paragraph untill A message asking "Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no](no):" will be displayed.
- If you agree to all terms of the ASLA, type "yes" and press the <ENTER> key to continue. If you do not agree, type "no" and press the <ENTER> key to abort the installation process.
- Choose Link Location:
- There are many options available for creating application links. A message asking "Do you want to create links? Choose Options [y/n](yes)" will be displayed.
- If you want to create link type "y" and press the <ENTER> key to continue.
- If you have selected yes, next step will ask for the location to create the links. please provide the location where you want links to be created and press the <ENTER> key to continue.
- The installer will now install the AppPerfect product at the specified location.
- Once the installation is complete you will get back to the command prompt.
- It will launch Read me file in the default browser.
- If links were created, then the folder should be opened in a new Explorer (or equivalent).
Settings that should be provided when you login into AppPerfect License Server for the first time
Server is configured to start as a service, hence in general you will not need to handle start/stop of the server. However, You can start/stop the server using the links created during installation. On Windows machine, select Start >> Programs >> AppPerfect License Server 11.0.1 >> AppPerfect License Service >> Start (Stop link to stop the server). On Unix based machines (Linux, MAC OS X etc) Double click Start (Stop link to stop the server) link in AppPerfect License Service folder present in the links folder i.e. AppPerfect_LicenseServer_11.0.1.
- Start the web-based UI using link created during installation. On Windows machine, select Start >> Programs >> AppPerfect License Server 14.5.0 >> AppPerfect License Server Login. On Unix based machines (Linux, MAC OS X etc) Double click AppPerfect License Server Login link present tin the links folder i.e. AppPerfect_LicenseServer_14.5.0.
- Configure License Server:
When you start the product for the first time, it will ask you to Configure License Server. Provide your full name, company in respective field. Provide the password for administrator user. Provide other details in this form and select Save.
- If all the details are provided correctly, it will configure the administrator and display following message "Thank you for configuring administrator of AppPerfect License Server. Please re-start AppPerfect License Server to login using the configured user
- Please Stop and Start AppPerfect License Server using the links created in Shortcut/Link folder.
Login to AppPerfect License Server
- Server is configured to start as a service, hence in general you will not need to handle start/stop of the server. However, You can start/stop the server using the links created during installation. On Windows machine, select Start >> Programs >> AppPerfect License Server 11.0.1 >> AppPerfect License Service >> Start (Stop link to stop the server). On Unix based machines (Linux, MAC OS X etc) Double click Start (Stop link to stop the server) link in AppPerfect License Service folder present in the links folder i.e. AppPerfect_LicenseServer_11.0.1.
- Start the web-based UI using link created during installation. On Windows machine, select Start >> Programs >> AppPerfect License Server 11.0.1 >> AppPerfect License Server Login. On Unix based machines (Linux, MAC OS X etc) Double click AppPerfect License Server Login link present tin the links folder i.e. AppPerfect_LicenseServer_11.0.1.
- A browser will be launched and you will get a Login form. Enter the username as administrator and password that was configured earlier.
- On successful login, you will see the current status of the license server. You will see two tabs, viz; Licenses and Machines. Licenses tab displays a table of all the floating license keys configured in the server. Machines tab displays the list of clients that have acquired floating license from the server. Since we have not added any key as of now, the table is empty.
Add floating license key
- To add a floating license key of AppPerfect product select Add button in Licenses tab. This will present a
form to enter a key. Enter the License Server key that you have received from AppPerfect Sales team in this field
and select Save. If the key is not valid, it will give an error message. If it is correct and valid, it will show
the license key in adjoining table.
If you want to update a key, select the checkbox in the first column corresponding to the key and select Edit button. If you want to delete existing key(s), select the checkbox(es) and select Delete button. You will get appropriate message on completion of this action.
Configure AppPerfect product to use floating license
You can install AppPerfect products on any number of machines with evaluation key, only fixed number of machines will get professional license from this License server. This fixed number is the number of floating licenses you have purchased. If you have not installed AppPerfect client products (App Test, Web Test, Load Test, Java Code Test, Java Unit Test, Java Profiler) for which you have purchased the floating license key, please install it using its Installation guide. Start this product atleast once and provide its evaluation key when its started for the first time. Instructions given below uses AppPerfect Load Test product, if you are using a different product, except the name of the product and its default values, all other things should match exactly).
- Start AppPerfect Load Test. Select Tools >> Options.
- Select Load Test Licenses node in the Options tree. In the right hand side view, you will see "Specify License server settings" section.
- Select the checkbox Use Floating License Server. This will enable all the fields in this section.
- All the other fields will remain same (assuming that AppPerfect License Server was installed using default settings), except the second field, where you need to specify the host name or IP address of the License Server machine.
- In previous section you will find that our License Server supports, 1 floating license of Load Test with 200 virtual users. We will request the license server to assign 150 virtual users to this machine when it assigns a license key to this machine. Click on Validate Settings to verify the settings. If there is any error, application will show the error message else it will show validation successful message.
- Now, restart AppPerfect Load Test product, you will see that the product has started with Floating License key.
- You can verify the list of machines that have been assigned floating license key in License server's web UI, by selecting Machines tab
Disconnect AppPerfect product (Release floating license)
- When the Load Test product is shutdown, the floating license is automatically released at the server.
To forcefully, release the floating license key assigned to a machine, click the "Disconnect" link that can
be seen in the last column in the Machines tab for each assigned machine.