Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor
This tutorial provides a brief introduction to Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor using a set of hands-on practice exercises. This tutorial assumes you have successfully downloaded and installed AppPerfect Agentless Monitor on your machine with the default options. Apart from this pre-requisite, this tutorial is self contained. Instructions given below are Windows-specific; if you are using a non-Windows machine, please use equivalent commands/instructions.
All exercises assume you have installed the product in C:\AppPerfect\AgentlessMonitor folder and will be referred as MONITOR_HOME henceforth in tutorial. If you have installed the product in some other folder, modify the instructions below appropriately.
This tutorial is not intended as a comprehensive training guide. Please refer to the product documentation for detailed information. However, this tutorial will give you a very good overview of the products and substantially improve your productivity with the product. This tutorial provides information on Java 1.5/1.6 monitor, if you are looking for any other details, please check Agentless Monitor documentation or other tutorials.
Exercise 1: Requirements of Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor
In order to monitor a server with Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor, the server needs to be running in JDK 1.5.x or more. It is not possible to monitor a server if its running using lower version of JDK. Confirm that JDK version is 1.5.x or more. Once this is confirmed, configure your server to start with additional JVM arguments required for remote monitoring.
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=xxxx -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
Specify the following at appropriate location or as appropriate system property. For e.g., to start a Tomcat 5.x server with these property, specify
set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=xxxx -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
on the console/shell before starting the server. Replace xxxx with a port that is open on the machine. For e.g. We will specify 8001. For the purpose of this tutorial we are not using authentication, you can configure authentication using Monitoring and Management Using JMX guide.
Exercise 2: Add Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor
Once it is verified that the server meets the requirements of Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor, we can proceed further to add Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor.
- Select Monitors tab in the Web UI of AppPerfect Agentless Monitor. Select Add button to add a monitor.
- Specify IP address or Host name or both of the machine on which JRun 4 server is running.
- Select Java 1.5/1.6 in the Monitor Type combo.
- Specify unique Monitor ID for this Monitor.
- Leave other values in General section to be default and move to Java 1.5/1.6 Options.
- In JMX Connector Port specify the port that was configured in Excerise 1. i.e. 8001
- Provide user name and password configured for JMX. We will leave it blank as we have not enabled JMX authentication
- Select the JVM vendor of the JDK which is used for running the server.
- Now we have provided all the properties of Java 1.5/1.6 monitor.
Ensure that Java 1.5/1.6 server is running at the moment. Now, select Next to validate and get the Attributes that can be monitored for this server.
- You will see Attributes tree that shows all the Standard MBeans exposed by Java 1.5/1.6 server. AppPerfect Agentless Monitor has some of them pre-selected which gives general information required about the server.
- Leave the default selection as it is and select Next to configure selected attributes or select Finish to start monitoring these attributes using default settings.
Exercise 3: View the summary of server
Once Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor is added, you will get a message JavaMonitor added successfuly. Now expand the tree on the LHS. Expand 127.0.01 >> JavaMonitor. Select Summary node.
Select other nodes to view the charts of different attributes that have been added for this monitor.
We greatly appreciate your effort in completing this AppPerfect Agentless Monitor tutorial. We hope it has given you a good overview of the product and its features. Please refer to the product documentation for additional details on all product features.
We are always eager to hear your feedback regarding the product, the documentation, the tutorial or any other issue related to the product. Please provide us your feedback at support(at)AppPerfect.com