JRun 4 Monitor
This tutorial provides a brief introduction to JRun Monitor using a set of hands-on practice exercises. This tutorial assumes you have successfully downloaded and installed AppPerfect Agentless Monitor on your machine with the default options. Apart from this pre-requisite, this tutorial is self contained. Instructions given below are Windows-specific; if you are using a non-Windows machine, please use equivalent commands/instructions.
All exercises assume you have installed the product in C:\AppPerfect\AgentlessMonitor folder and will be referred as MONITOR_HOME henceforth in tutorial. If you have installed the product in some other folder, modify the instructions below appropriately.
This tutorial is not intended as a comprehensive training guide. Please refer to the product documentation for detailed information. However, this tutorial will give you a very good overview of the products and substantially improve your productivity with the product. This tutorial provides information on JRun monitor, if you are looking for any other details, please check Agentless Monitor documentation or other tutorials.
Exercise 1: Finding more about your JRun 4 Server
JRun 4 server (without any updates) was the server which could only run using JDK 13 or JDK 14 as the newer version of JDK were not released by then. Prior to JDK 15, each server had its proprietary JMX implementation. With JDK 15, JMX implementation was standardized and was part of JDK itself. This required significant changes with in the server to support JMX implementation using standardized approach. If you check the release notes of JRun 4 server, support for JDK 15 was provided in "Macromedia JRun 4 Updater 5". Further more, "Macromedia JRun 4 Updater 7" now supports JDK 16 as well. Before you configure JRun Monitor in AppPerfect Agentless Monitor, we need to find which is the latest JRun 4 updater installed for this server. While installing every updater, it creates updaterX-backup folder in server home, where X is the updater index. For e.g. If updater7-backup folder is present in server home, it means Macromedia JRun 4 Updater 7 has been installed on the server.
If JRun 4 server that you want to monitor is not updated using any Updater or is updated using Macromedia JRun 4 Updater 4 or less, it means the server does not support JDK 15 or JDK 16 as yet. It means that the server is still providing its JMX implementation using its proprietary implementation which needs to be loaded using JDK 14 or less. The JDK of the Server is configured in C:\jrun4\bin\jvm.config file.
Exercise 2: Add JRun 4 Monitor
Once we have identified required information to add JRun 4 Monitor, we will proceed to add JRun 4 monitor in Agentless Monitor.
- Select Monitors tab in the Web UI of AppPerfect Agentless Monitor. Select Add button to add a monitor.
- Specify IP address or Host name or both of the machine on which JRun 4 server is running.
- Select JRun 4 in the Monitor Type combo.
- Specify unique Monitor ID for this Monitor.
- Leave other values in General section to be default and move to JRun 4 Options.
- Select the JDK version of Server as 1.3.x or 1.4.x if server is running using JDK 1.3.x or JDK 1.4.x. If server is running with higher version of JDK, select 1.5.x or more.
- If JDK version of Server is 1.3.x or 1.4.x then you need to provide the path of JDK 1.4.x or lower located on the AppPerfect Agentless Monitor machine. If you do not have it, please download and install it.
- Specify Installation folder of JRun 4 server. If the server is running on remote machine, Please copy JRun4 folder to AppPerfect Agentless Monitor machine and provide its path.
- Provide user name and password required to access admin server. These are configured during installation of JRun 4 server. Please contact your system administrator if you are not aware of it.
- The Listening Port is specified as the JNDI property - java.naming.provider.url. The port value is specified in the jndi.properties configuration file.This jndi.properties file is present in "JRun Install Folder"/servers/admin/SERVER-INF/. Replace "JRun Install Folder" with the location where JRun has been installed on the server machine
- Now we have provided all the properties of JRun 4 monitor.
Ensure that JRun 4 admin server is running at the moment. Now, select Next to validate and get the Attributes that can be monitored for this server.
- You will see Attributes tree that shows all the MBeans exposed by JRun 4 server.
- Select the attributes that you wish to monitor and select Next to configure selected attributes or select Finish to start monitoring these attributes using default settings.
Exercise 3: Use Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor instead of JRun 4 Monitor
Once we have identified required information of JRun 4 server, we can also add standard Java 1.5/1.6 monitor to monitor JRun 4 server provided JRun 4 server is started with JDK 1.5 or more and using additional java.args. JRun 4 monitor is a monitor specific to JRun 4 server and allows you to monitor all readable MBeans in the server where as Java 1.5/1.6 monitor is a generic monitor that can monitor all the JVMs running with JDK 1.5 or more.
In order to monitor a server with Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor, please add following java.arg in jvm.config file. -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8001 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false. Note: You can specify a different port if 8001 is blocked by some other process. For the purpose of this tutorial we are not using authentication, you can configure authentication using Monitoring and Management Using JMX guide.
Restart JRun 4 server and refer to Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor tutorial for adding Java 1.5/1.6 Monitor.
We greatly appreciate your effort in completing this AppPerfect Agentless Monitor tutorial. We hope it has given you a good overview of the product and its features. Please refer to the product documentation for additional details on all product features.
We are always eager to hear your feedback regarding the product, the documentation, the tutorial or any other issue related to the product. Please provide us your feedback at support(at)AppPerfect.com