Profiling a Desktop Application
This tutorial provides a brief introduction to the AppPerfect Java Profiler using a set of hands-on practice exercises. This tutorial assumes you have successfully downloaded and installed AppPerfect Profiler on your machine with the default options. Apart from this pre-requisite, this tutorial is self contained. Instructions given below are Windows-specific; if you are using a non-Windows machine, please use equivalent commands/instructions.
This document is divided into following sections
Within each section, multiple exercises are listed. Each exercise forms a logical unit which is expected to take no more than a few minutes to perform.
All exercises assume you have installed the product in C:\AppPerfect\Profiler folder and will be referred as Profiler_HOME henceforth in tutorial. If you have installed the product in some other folder, modify the instructions below appropriately.
This tutorial is not intended as a comprehensive training guide. Please refer to the product documentation for detailed information. However, this tutorial will give you a very good overview of the products and substantially improve your productivity with the product.
Exercise 1: Launch AppPerfect Java Profiler
- Click on Start -> Programs ->AppPerfect Profiler x.x.x -> AppPerfect Java Profiler
- On launching AppPerfect Java Profiler a Welcome page will be displayed. Go through the brief description
given for product.
NB: Welcome page is displayed only when Profiler x.x.x is launched and last time no project was opened.
Exercise 2: Creating a Project
- Launch the Project Wizard by clicking File ->New... menu option. The New Project wizard will be launched.
- Go through the instruction provided on top of the General tab.
- Keep the default project name and location for the purpose of this exercise. We don't have to provide "Notification" settings or "Target Application Machine" settings for this exercise. Click on the Next button.
- In the Import tab do nothing. Click the Next button.
- In the Source tab provide the source files and folders of your local application. Click the Next button.
- Either use the default JDK which is bundled with AppPerfect Java Profiler or provide the proper JDK which you want to use with your application and click on the Next button.
- In the "Environment" tab provide the classpath for the sources added in the project.
- Click on "Verify Classpath" button to validate the classpath.
- Classpath validation dialog will be launched and the classpath will be verified. A message saying that the classpath specified is correct should be displayed. Click on the "OK" button. Click on the Next button.
- In the "Target" tab select Target Application type as "Local/Desktop Application".
- Provide the working folder. Working folder is that folder from where you want to run your application, this is specially useful when you are using relative paths in your application to fetch various things like images etc.
- Specify the Main Class and Main Class arguments (if any).
- Select the "Launch target application automatically" checkbox. Click on the Finish button.
- A confirmation message saying that the project is saved will be displayed. Click on the OK button.
Now using this Project we will create tests to demonstrate the functionalities of AppPerfect Java Profilfer product.
AppPerfect Java Profiler
The steps henceforth will be same in case of Server and Local profiling, hence please refer to the "Profiling Server Application" tutorial for further details.