Functional Testing a SOAP WebService
This tutorial provides a brief introduction to the AppPerfect Web Test product using a set of hands-on practice exercises. This tutorial assumes you have successfully downloaded and installed AppPerfect Web Test on your machine with the default options. Apart from this pre-requisite, this tutorial is self contained.
This document is divided into following sections
Within each section, multiple exercises are listed. Each exercise forms a logical unit which is expected to take no more than a few minutes to perform. This tutorial will use GlobalWeather webservice.
This tutorial is not intended as a comprehensive training guide. Please refer to the product documentation for detailed information. However, this tutorial will give you a very good overview of the products and substantially improve your productivity with the product.
Exercise 1: Launch AppPerfect Web Test
- Click on Start -> Programs ->AppPerfect Web Test x.x.x -> AppPerfect Web Test
- On launching AppPerfect Web Test a Welcome page will be displayed. Go through the brief description
given for product.
Exercise 2: Creating Project
- Launch the Define New Project dialog by clicking File ->New... menu option. The New Project wizard will be launched.
- Keep the default project name and location for the purpose of this exercise. Click on the OK button.
- A confirmation message saying that the project is saved will be displayed. Click on the OK button.
Now using this project we will create tests to demonstrate the functionalities of AppPerfect Web Test product.
AppPerfect Web Test
NB:Please follow the steps provided in the "Creating Project" section to first create a project, then proceed further.
Exercise 1: Define a Web Test project
- Once the common project is successfully created another dialog - Define Project Properties dialog - will be displayed.
- The dialog shows various options which can be configured for the project, leave them default and click on Next button.
- Click through all the menu items to familiarize yourself with the available features and how to access them. Viewing through all menu items will give a reasonable overview of the application.
- Click Help -> Table of Contents menu item to see AppPerfect Web Test product documentation
- Open the Preferences dialog by selecting the menu option Tools -> Options...
- Review the default settings for Web Test and click the OK button to close the dialog.
Exercise 2: Recording a Test
- Right click on project and Add group. Provide the group name (using ActionGroup1 here), repeat count and select Group type as SOAP.
- Keep the default settings in Group Details.
- Right click on ActionGroup1, Add a task. Provide WSDL File/URL as "http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx?wsdl" and click on Load WSDL.
- The remaining fields will be populated on loading the WSDL. Click OK.
- Review that Task fields inside ActionGroup1 are populated according to the WSDL file.
- Select task Task2 [GlobalWeatherSoap.GetCitiesByCountry]. In Parameters tab, select the parameter CountryName and click on edit icon beside the Parameters table to provide value as "United States".
- Similarly, parameters can be configured for Task1 [GlobalWeatherSoap.GetWeather].
- To verify the test, Click Project -> Verify Test using Browser.
Exercise 3: Executing a test
- Go to Project -> Properties.... menu to open Web Test project properties dialog. Change the 'No. of iterations' value to 2 and click OK.
- To start replay of the recorded test, click on Project -> Run from the menu bar.
Exercise 4: View and analyze results
- After replay, results are displayed in Results tab.
- Click on Results tab. Test results details are displayed on the right. Click on individual items in the tree on the left to view details on specific actions.
- Browse and examine the different views that are displayed on selecting the various nodes in the navigation tree.
- Select the ActionGroup node. This report gives a summary of the successful, failed, timed-out & not played URLs & Events.
- Select the URL Item and click on the Validation Results tab on the right. Here you will find the details of the successful / failed validations.